The PA No-Till Alliance will host a summer field day from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. July 24 at Ryan Graham’s Farm, 181 Harmony St., Evans City.
Zeb Winslow from Scotland Neck, N.C., will serve as keynote speaker for the event. A fifth-generation farmer with 800 acres of corn, soybeans, wheat and cotton, Winslow has been developing an integrated soil health management system since the late 1990s.
He will address how this system incorporates the four core soil health concepts of maximizing diversity, minimizing disturbance, and keeping living roots in the soil and maintaining a residue cover year-round.
Additional program features
- Demonstration — How to use a drone for seeding cover crops and other management practices
- Discussion — How might grazing cover crops diversify and maximize benefits?
- Demonstration cover crop plots
- Farmer-owned equipment on display
- Planting green and other field demonstrations.
Registration is free if done so by July 20, the cost is $10 the day of the event. Lunch is included.
For more information or to register, contact Jay Howes, email@example.com, or calling 717-574-4510.
Andy Gaver is a conservationist with the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service in Butler County.