School visit dates slated next month
ADAMS TWP — Mars Area School District offers an opportunity for students in grades K-8 and their parents to see their school buildings on visitation days.
- Mars Area Middle School is open 9 a.m. to noon and 7 to 8 p.m. Sept. 5.
- Mars Area Centennial School, Mars Area Elementary School and Mars Area Primary Center are open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sept. 6.
For more information, contact representatives at each school building.
Orientation events set at Mars schools
ADAMS TWP — Mars Area schools will hold orientation events to kick off the 2019-20 school year:
- High School — Ninth grade orientation is from 6 to 7 p.m. Sept. 4. Call 724-625-1581 for information.
- Middle School — Seventh grade and new student orientation is 6 to 7 p.m. Sept. 5. Call 724-625-3145 for more information.
- Primary Center — Morning kindergarten parent orientation is 6 to 7 p.m. Sept. 5. Afternoon kindergarten parent orientation is 7 to 8 p.m. Sept. 5. Call 724-625-1588 for more information.
- Primary Center — First grade parent orientation is from 6 to 8 p.m. Sept. 10. Call 724-625-1588 for more information.
- Elementary School — Parent orientation is from 5:45 to 7:45 p.m. Sept. 11. Call 724-625-3161 for more information.
- Centennial School — Parent orientation is from 6 to 8 p.m. Sept. 12. Call 724-625-2601 for more information.
Concussion testing slated for athletes
ADAMS TWP — Mars Area School District is holding ImPACT Baseline computer-based concussion testing for student-athletes participating in fall sports at the high school. Athletes entering seventh, ninth and 11th grades and any student who has not received a baseline test in the past must submit to testing. Students are asked to arrive 10 to 15 minutes before the scheduled time. Schedule is as follows:
- Wednesday — seventh- and eighth-grade cheerleading, 10 a.m.
- Thursday — seventh- and eighth-grade boys soccer, 10 a.m.; seventh- and eighth-grade girls soccer, 11 a.m.
- Monday — all sports make up testing, 11 a.m.
- Aug. 29 — all sports make up testing, 11 a.m.
Testing will be administered and supervised by district athletic trainers.
Mars posts school bus schedules
ADAMS TWP — Mars Area School District has posted 2019-20 student bus schedules on the Skyward Family Access portal.
Parents can log onto Skyward via the “Student Information System” link on the district website www.marsk12.org.
After logging onto Skyward, individual bus schedules can be viewed by clicking on the “Students” tab, then “Student Profile.” Parents should scroll down the left-hand column and select “Busing,” then “Bus Stops.” Each student's pickup and drop-off time will be displayed in the main section on the right-hand side of the page.
Parents with any changes in bussing needs because of day care arrangements or relocations are asked to contact Jane Roth, transportation director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No changes to bus schedules will be considered until after Sept. 23. The district will make every effort to accommodate bussing requests.
Visit www.marsk12.org for more information.
Mars band slates halftime show
ADAMS TWP — Mars Area High School marching band's 2019-20 halftime show is “Chasing Sunlight.”
The show includes the songs “Requiem-Dies Irae” by Giuseppe Verdi, “Hurricane” by Thirty Seconds to Mars, “Thunderstruck” by AC/DC and “Chasing Sunlight” by Cait Nishimura. This year's show will feature a solo performance by senior saxophone player Anthony Gatto.
The band will compete in various Pennsylvania Interscholastic Marching Band Association Class 3A events and offer a number of additional performances this fall, including:
- Sept. 25 — Butler County Band Festival at Butler Area Senior High School
- Sept. 27 — Mars Area High School 2019 Homecoming Parade, 5 p.m. in downtown Mars.
For more information, contact marching band director Dave Soose at 724-625-1581.
School board sets special meeting
ADAMS TWP — Mars Area School Board will hold a special meeting to discuss personnel items and for general purposes at 10 a.m. Monday in the Mars Area School District Administration Office boardroom.
All meetings are open to the public. For more information, call 724-625-1518.